Recording Program Preliminary Round
Any applicant wishing to apply to the Recording Program must first apply to the Recording Program Preliminary Round.
Any eligible applicant to the Recording Program may submit a proposal for consideration to the Preliminary Round. A group of peer panelists will review the proposals. Only the most competitive applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal to the Recording Program.
Please note that live streaming activity is not eligible in the Recording Program. You may seek support for live streaming activity in the Performance Program, which has its annual deadline on June 30.
How to Apply
Preliminary Round applications should contain the following information. Please be as brief as possible. The Fund will not consider musical samples in the Preliminary Round.
- Name of record label or distributor
- Project release date
- Request amount
- Total cost of project
- Have any of the works on this project been recorded and released previously, by anyone?
- A list of key project personnel, including soloists, guest artists, and ensembles. Do not provide detailed biographies; instead, include links to the web site(s) of the composer(s) and performer(s)
- Project summary, with a brief description of proposed project
- Timetable with specific dates and steps for production, promotion and distribution (bullet form is acceptable)
Due to the competitive nature of the application process and limited resources of the Recording Program, commercial and non-profit recording companies may submit a maximum of three proposals to the Preliminary Round. Each proposal should be submitted separately. All other applicants, including individuals applying with a fiscal sponsor, ensembles, and other organizations may only submit one request.
All proposals submitted to the preliminary round must comply with the current Recording Program guideline criteria. Applicants invited to submit a complete proposal will be notified by December 16, 2018. It is expected that applicants invited to submit a complete proposal will do so, which will be due on February 18, 2020.
Only applicants who have already submitted an application to the Preliminary Round and received an invitation from the Fund to submit a full proposal may submit an application to the 2020 Recording Program. No other applications will be considered.
- November 15, 2019: Preliminary Round deadline
- December 16, 2019: Preliminary Round notification via e-mail; invitation to apply to the Recording Program
- February 18, 2020: Invitation Application Deadline
All deadlines end at 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time on the date specified.
Applicants will be notified of funding decisions in or about June of that year. Please do not contact the Fund for information on funding decisions.
Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to read the Frequently Asked Questions before starting an application. If your question is not answered there, please contact the Grants Manager prior to the time of application.
Contact via e-mail
Updated September 20, 2019